Anders Hintze


Anders Hintze was born in Herslev, Denmark, January 29, 1821. His father was Hintze Andersen and his mother was Maren Larsdatter. Anders father died when Anders was about 12 years of age. His mother, though 25 years younger than her husband, lived to the same age (67 years) before she died. Anders was, therefore, early put out to work and had to mostly support himself. Being of quiet disposition, he naturally gained friends and was very much respected, being faithful in the discharge of his duties.

Anders was rejected as a soldier when of age because he was subject to asthma, thereby saving himself from going to war as Denmark was near war with Germany at the time he was first of military age. During this time he made the acquaintance of Karen Svendsen (Church records record her name as Karen Nikolaisen [Nikolaesdatter]). Anders and Karen were married November 8, 1852 at Roskilde, and commenced housekeeping on a little street called Gammel Jylland. Here they lived about two years. Anders was awarded the place as janitor of the high school (or Latin school as it is called). Here he got the chance to increase his means some so that every year he was able to add, somewhat, to the little savings he had received from his father’s estate.

In the year 1852, a stillborn child (girl) was born which responded to backslapping and shaking to life, but it was evident that she would die. Anders baptized her himself according to his religious belief as there was no time to send for a priest. They believed that baptism was necessary for a child to be admitted into the Kingdom of God. Anders and Karen eventually had five children but only Ferdinand and Camilla lived to become adults.

Anders was a mild, quiet, retiring man who seemed to always stay in the background. So it was that when his wife became interested in hearing more about the Mormons and received his permission to have the Elders call, he seemed to move out of the conversation circle and not take part in the discussion. When Karen received a testimony and asked Anders for permission to be baptized, she also requested that he accompany her to the Bay where the baptism would take place as she didn’t think it appropriate that she go out alone at night with the Elders. (It was necessary to perform such ordinances at night to avoid interference and persecution.) He consented to go and while she was secluded behind bushes to get appropriately dressed for the ordinance, he was baptized by the Elders. This came as a complete surprise as he had said nothing about it before. It seems that he relied heavily upon the aggressive and inquisitive nature of his wife. If she had become convinced that what the Elders taught was the truth then it must be right, so he was baptized. Anders home soon became the center of missionary activities in their home area. Through his influence, permission was granted for the missionaries to use the schoolhouse where he was janitor for meetings. In the three years that they lived in Roskilde, a branch of the Church was organized and over fifty joined the Church.

Before Anders and his family emigrated to Utah in 1864, they suffered a good deal of persecution. They had fingers pointed at them, were hooted and whistled at, and once were mobbed. It so happened that the saints had hired a hall and given private invitations to those who would enjoy attending a meeting. However, those who opposed the work obtained a copy of the invitation and published it in a paper; telling where and when the meeting was to be held. A mob came as the brethren commenced speaking. They pried open a window so that all could hear. The city attorney was present and when he saw that the people began to give serious attention to the Elders, he swore an oath and said that it was not lawful to hold meetings in the open air. This was not in the open air, only as the sound went out through the open window to the mob who had gathered to cause trouble. The window was then closed under much confrontation between those on the inside and those without. However, the meeting soon broke up and Anders got the police to see them home safely.

The next Sunday another meeting was appointed and the mob published another notice and gathered as before. They again caused such a disturbance that it was necessary to discontinue the meeting. However, the police were not present for to escort Anders and the Elders home. As they went out into the streets, Anders knew of a cut-off through a barber shop into the garden by the school which was adjacent to their back yard. They consequently arrived home safely and had no further trouble that day. However, the following Sunday the Elders considered it unwise to hold another meeting at the same place so they distributed no private invitations. They were not obliged to go nor were any of the saints. As it was, the mob showed up and when they found that they were alone they became enraged. They went into the suburb where a Mormon family lived that was very poor. They searched diligently for the Elders but none could be found. From there they went to the home of a poor widow, broke into her home, broke her windows, and searched through her house for the Elders. Finding none, they returned to the inner city to Anders home adjacent to the school. Karen was sitting near the window looking out. As she saw them coming she notified Anders and in a few minutes they met the mob as the mob was beginning to file into the school yard. Anders inquired as to what they wished. The mob wanted to know if there was a meeting there and if the Elders were anywhere around. Anders told them no and that he was police there at the school and therefore they must leave at once. The mob was led by a big burley bounder and as he turned to leave they all followed. As the last one went out the gate he hooked the crook of his walking cane around Ander’s leg and attempted to pull him out into the street. Karen was close by and being more robust than Anders, pushed the gate closed just before Anders was pulled out. With the gate closed the mobbers could see nothing as the gate and the wall around the school was a high bulwark. The mobbers began to throw stones over the bulwark but were not able to hit anyone. Karen thinking that the police did not know of the situation there, went through the school house and out among the mob, not being recognized at first. She was a good ways on her way to the police station before she was discovered. When she was recognized, they commenced yelling and running after her saying, “There goes that Mormon woman.” She made it to the city hall before the mob but found no police there. When she returned, the police were already there disbursing the mob. Apparently the police had been close by all of the time but why they took no action before is not known. When Anders heard the police there he opened the gate and a policeman stepped up and said, “Mr. Hintze, I think that it is all safe now, you can go in.” In a few days Anders received a summon to appear before a police court and he thought that it was to testify against some of the mob. Not so: They were never asked a question but two policemen swore that they had stood in the gate after being ordered to go back into the house, thereby collecting the mob. They were then fined $10.00.

Anders had always befriended the Elders and continued to do so until he emigrated to Zion. When he joined the Church he had a little money in savings but spent most of it helping others, supporting the missionaries, and furthering the work of the Lord in any way that he could. When he emigrated, he had only enough money to pay his passage to Wyoming on the Missouri River.

Anders and his family sailed from Liverpool, England on April 28, 1864 on the ship “Monarch of the Sea”. They landed in New York on June 3rd, having had to bury their baby daughter Sarah at sea. They went by train to St. Joseph, Missouri, thence by river boat up the Missouri river to a small village on the west bank named Wyoming, Nebraska, about 30 miles south of Omaha. Here they were outfitted with ox teams and wagon for the trip across the great plains. They left Wyoming on July 6, 1864 in a company headed by Captain Wm. B. Preston and arrived in Salt Lake City on September 15, 1864, 151 days after leaving Liverpool. They survived the rigors of nature and the hazards of ox-team travel and the 1000 mile hike across the plains and not a friend or acquaintance to greet them – only the ones made on the trip with whom they had traveled, camped, cooked and eaten. They stayed on the steps of the tithing office warehouse for two days before being claimed and taken into a home to be helped in getting started in this new land. They found friends in time and began to be content. Anders learned of the Homestead Law and found a quarter section of land free from entry, for which he filed. It was barren bench land, overgrown with sage brush and without water, but it was theirs. They made a dugout dwelling and started a dry farm. Others filed on adjoining lands and in time a canal was dug to bring them water.

[The land in time would become some of the most expensive land in Salt Lake valley where beautiful homes would be built. Quite a transition from the earthen dugout, the first home of Anders, Karen and their children.]

Anders was a faithful latter-day saint and did all he could, in his meek and humble way, to further the work of the Lord. He was always prompt in his payment of tithes and offerings and in his performance of his priesthood duties. His home was always open to befriend those who stood in need of special friendship. He married two additional wives, Ane Katrine Rassmussen and Bodil Bendson. His first wife, Karen, helped him select these additional companions.

Anders died peacefully after about a two-week illness on March 5, 1888. He was 67 years old.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *